Sunday, May 19, 2013

Feel The Tingle

christianbanners.com

It's Pentecost Sunday.  Yes, this Sunday is a yearly reminder for all Christians of how blessed we are to have the Holy Spirit in us to help us live out Christ's love here on Earth.  As a child, the Trinity was something I always struggled with (okay, as an adult, there are times I still struggle).  There's the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.  All different, yet all the same.  Yep - try teaching that to 2-year olds!

As an adult, though, there have been repeated times when I know the Holy Spirit was with me, in me.  It has provided me guidance to do God's will, it has led me to prayer, it has shared with me the words that I needed to help others, it has moved me against temptation.  It has also been there when I made poor choices - following temptations to sin, or when I didn't open my mouth for words a friend might have needed, or when I felt I didn't have the courage to take a step in Christ.  The Holy Spirit is there each and every moment of my days, just like God the Father and Jesus the Son are.  It is the Holy Spirit that can help us to lead the life of faith that we may be challenged with.

How can the Holy Spirit do all this?  Again, not being able to see the Holy Spirit, how do we know the Holy Spirit is with us?  Think back with me, to a time in your life - maybe it was many years ago, many months ago, or maybe you are fortunate enough to relate to a relatively new experience.  You made a choice.  The path you might have had in front of you led you to two opportunities:  one where Jesus is standing in front of you saying, "Great job", the other He is saying, "I'm disappointed".  First let's examine the "disappointed" choice.  This choice leads us to times when we might be jealous of others, promoting conflict, or general discourse.  Now, the choice where he said, "Great job".  This choice may lead us to helping others, kindness, self-control.  How did you feel after that choice?  Did you smile?  Maybe tingle inside?  Maybe others were excited to be with you at that moment?  That is the Holy Spirit working inside of you.

These choices do not need to be monumental acts such as the disciples made in Jesus' time.  Wow - now there are some choices that I really wish I could make in my life.  Let's start with ones that we know we can handle (and work our way up)!  A kind note to a friend who could use some words of encouragement, a phone call (or better yet a visit) to a shut in, a hug to someone who is distressed or the most powerful of all, a prayer for one in need.

I remember a few weeks back putting lotion on my dear mom's feet after she went through heart surgery.  Her feet were swollen and she was working so hard on getting healthy.  One night, as we sat together, I had my lotion and just rubbed her feet.  The smile on her face made me realize that the very small act that I had chosen made a very large difference in her life at that time.  I felt I couldn't do much to show her my love - I couldn't heal her.  It was the one thing I could do to give her a little relief.  She seemed happy.  I tingled.  And will remember that moment all my life.  The Holy Spirit works in us to make great choices - listen to the Spirit speak~~  Remember, it is all about having a Simple Faith to believe that the Spirit will guide us to better choices, better places.  We have to do our part too - believe!!

 "Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited,provoking and envying each other." (NIV) Galatians 5:25-26 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.